Many internet users want to download Youtube videos. Downloading the videos can be beneficial in several ways including the option to play the video at any
time without having to access the Youtube website on the Internet. It
can also save bandwidth and be used to transfer the Youtube videos to
devices like cell phones, media players or gaming systems that are
usually not connected to the Internet or that do not offer the speed
needed to enjoy the videos.
There are basically three ways of downloading Youtube videos: Using a web service, a web browser add-on or
a standalone software program. All methods have their distinct
advantages and disadvantages. Web services for example are usually
independent of operating systems and can be used instantly without
having to install software.They do usually lack the ability to download
multiple Youtube videos at once.
Web browser plugins require installation. They have the advantage that they work directly on the
site which is very comfortable for the user. They also usually do not
provide the means to add multiple videos at once to a download queue.
Software programs to download Youtube videos usually come with the option to add
multiple video links to the queue before starting the download. They do
need to be installed on the other hand and lack a solid Youtube browser
Online services to download Youtube videos:
Web services are websites that provide the means to download Youtube videos
to a local computer system. Some offer advanced features like
converting the video to another format. The list has been limited to ten
free services that provide options to download Youtube videos.
1. Keepvid: A straightforward service. The user needs to paste the url of the
Youtube video in the form provided on the website. Keepvid will then
offer low quality and high quality downloads of the video. Works with other video portals like MySpace video or
Dailymotion as well. Offers a bookmarklet which works more comfortably
than copying pasting Youtube urls.
2. Zamzar: A file conversion service that can not only download Youtube videos but
also convert the videos into different formats. Great for users who
need the video in a different format and do not want to convert them on
their computer system.
3. KCoolOnline: Currently supports 231 video portals including Youtube. It has a basic
interface. All that needs to be done is to paste a video url in the form
to download the Youtube video. Users who like to download videos from
many different video portals might like this as it supports a lot of
4. Video Downloader: Another basic web interface that allows users to download and convert
videos from sites like Youtube, Dailymotion or MySpace. Nothing much to
say about this service except that it offers downloads in the original
flv format but also in mp4 out of the box.
5. SaveVid: Offers Youtube videos in original flv or mp4 format. Displays a live
list of videos that get downloaded by users on the website which can be a
great source of videos as download links are displayed directly. Offers
top 10 lists, archives and categories as well.
6. Vidgrab: Vidgrab offers a web form that can be used to paste Youtube videos into
it. These videos can then be downloaded in their original format. One
interesting aspect of Vidgrab is the list of popular videos that are
displayed on the website. These can also be downloaded directly to the
7. Vixy: Vixy is a video converter that supports Youtube videos. It does not
offer the means to download Youtube videos in their original format.
Videos can be converted into various formats including avi, 3gp, mov or
8. KeepTube: Online service to download Youtube videos with preview and options to
download the video in various formats including normal and high quality
flv, 3gp and mp4. Offers additional ways of downloading the videos
including a bookmarklet and a very ingenious way by adding keep- after the www. of the youtube url.
9. KissYoutube: Offers a similar service as Keeptube by allowing users to add the word
kiss after the www. of the youtube url to download videos directly
without having to visit the KissYoutube website manually. Comes with the
usual form to download videos from Youtube as well.
10. Video Getting: Another service that combines video downloading and conversion in one
interface. Users can paste Youtube videos in the form and download them
in eight different formats.
Web Browser Add-ons to download Youtube videos
The following list contains ten web browser add-ons and plugins for popular
web browsers such as Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer that allow
users to directly download videos from video portals like Youtube. These
add-ons have the advantage that the videos can be downloaded directly
without having to visit another website to do so.
1. Video Download Helper (Firefox): One of the most popular Firefox add-ons. It supports many different
video portals including Youtube. The add-on will change its icon in the
status bar whenever a website with media links is visited.
2. NetVideoHunter (Firefox):
NetVideoHunter: Will recognize Youtube videos and add them to its queue with the
possibility to download the videos immediately or at a later time.
Videos can also be played in the interface as well.
3. Viloader (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera): A plugin that installs itself in three different web browsers. It
offers a download video right-click context menu option that can be used
to download the videos from Youtube and other video portals.
4. IE7Pro: IE7Pro supports Internet Explorer 8 as well despite its name. It comes
with a userscript engine and a script pre-installed that can download
Youtube videos. The browser plugin will display a download video link in
the video description on Youtube.
5. Flash Video Downloader (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera): Flash Video Downloader operates a web service to download videos and
an add-on that can be installed in Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera.
The Opera is one of the few Youtube video download widgets that
currently work with Opera 10.
6. Google Chrome Bookmarklet: Users can use a bookmarklet to download videos in the Google browser.
All they need to do is to create a new bookmark in the web browser and
"&fmt=18" + "&l=" + swfArgs['l'] + "&sk=" + swfArgs['sk'] +
'&fmt_map' + swfArgs['fmt_map'] + '&t=' + swfArgs['t'];
A click on the bookmark on any Youtube video page will download that video in the Google Chrome web browser.
Software Programs to download Youtube videos
The following list contains software programs for all popular operating systems that allow a user to download videos from Youtube.
1. TubeQueue (Windows):
TubeQueue: A program for the Windows operating system that can queue, convert and
download multiple Youtube videos. The program comes with its own search
interface making it completely independent from the Youtube website.
2. Free FLV Converter (Windows):
Free FLV Converter: A software program that can search for, download and convert Youtube
videos and videos from other web services. It’s biggest strength is the
search that can easily handle thousands of results providing comfortable
options to download multiple videos at once from Youtube.
3. Orbit Downloader (Windows) : Orbit is a very popular download manager that supports a variety of
popular media sites out of the box including Youtube, MySpace or
Pandora. It integrates with web browsers and comes with the Grab++
module that can be used to catch and download media files.
4. Youtube-DL (Linux, Windows): A command line program to download videos from Youtube
5. Abby and CCLive (Linux): Abby is a frontend for CCLive that can be used to download videos from various popular video hosting websites including Youtube.
6. GetTube (Mac): An application for Apple Mac computers that can be used to download Youtube videos.